At this point, you’ve heard of TikTok. But what does it mean for your brand? FGH digital strategists share some tips, tricks and pitfalls to avoid on the platform:
- The brass tacks. Founded in 2016, TikTok has 1 billion monthly active users as of January 2022. It surpassed Google as the most popular website of 2021. Nearly 70% of its users are under the age of 40.
- Popular content is driven by rapidly changing trends. An original, relatable spin and timeliness are key. Viral TikToks influence pop culture beyond the platform.
- Brands’ TikTok success hinges on the entertainment value of their content. The “Target Challenge” invited couples to buy each other their favorite items from the store and film their reactions. Videos tagged #targetchallenge had over 170 million views.
- Brands can also gain traction by plugging into trending topics. The TikTok “Logo Girl” started redesigning major brands’ logos horribly as a joke—with a video viewed 2 million times. Brands from Amazon to The Washington Post began commenting to ask her to redesign theirs, ultimately temporarily changing their TikTok profile photos to her creations.
- Brands have a potential opportunity to promote positive financial messages to TikTok’s growing retail investing audience. Individual investors are increasingly turning to social platforms to research, discuss and learn about stock opportunities post Gamestop/AMC. The #stockstobuy hashtag has 531.5 million views.
Got more questions about TikTok? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.