Recent polling shows President Biden’s recent mass pardon of people convicted of marijuana possession under federal law reflects Americans’ evolving opinions of pot. Our Insights team shared this research:
- Two out of three Americans (67%) support pardoning all prior federal convictions for possession of marijuana.
- 82% of Democrats support this measure vs. 45% of Republicans.
- More than half of Americans (55%) think marijuana should be made legal, while 29% think it should be illegal and 16% are unsure.
- Most Americans (72%) support changing the classification of marijuana so that it is no longer a Schedule I (most dangerous classification) drug, while 26% oppose the measure.
- Twelve percent of Americans think marijuana use has a very positive effect on society, 37% say it has a somewhat positive effect, 31% say it has a somewhat negative effect and 19% say it has a very negative effect.
- Almost half of Americans (48%) say they have tried marijuana, while 52% say they have not.
- 34% of Republicans have tried marijuana, compared to 53% of Democrats.