Perhaps no year-end wrap-up takes a better snapshot of the global psyche during a moment in time than Google’s Year in Search (read it and weep, Spotify Wrapped).
We picked some of the trends we found most illuminating to share with you here:
- In 2021, doomscrolling was searched more than ever globally.
- In January, searches for united states capitol spiked above searches for covid-19 vaccine globally.
- The world searched for how to start a business more than how to get a job in 2021.
- Soulmate was searched more than ever before in 2021 globally.
- Search interest in plumber hit an all-time high in the U.S. this year.
- In 2021, how to move with plants was searched more than how to move with kids and how to move with pets globally.
- The world searched impact of climate change more than ever before in 2021.
- U.S.-based searches for asian owned were 5 times higher in 2021 than in 2020.
- How to maintain mental health was searched more this year globally than ever before.
- The world searched for body positivity in 2021 more than ever before.
- This year, race was searched more than economy and healthcare in the U.S.
- Fire and flood were global breakout searches at the same time in July.
- Global where can i travel searches were 3 times higher in 2021 compared to pre-pandemic levels.
- The U.S. searched for road trip more in 2021 than ever before.
- In 2021, the world searched for missing indigenous women more than ever before.